Information for Students
Is This Program for You?
What Is SEMI High Tech U?
The mission of the SEMI Foundation is to support education and career awareness in the fields of high technology.
This internationally acclaimed career exploration program offers high school students like you a life changing experience. Hosted on a high-tech industry site and taught by industry instructors, activities are engaging, exciting and enlightening.
- You will participate in interesting and fun hands-on math and science based activities and work in teams to solve real world problems. You’ll even prepare for an interview with an industry professional.
- You will meet new friends with similar interests from different local high schools. Over 4200 students like you have successfully participated in this program.
- You will find out what careers fit your personality and what you can do NOW to prepare for the future.
What Kind of Activities Will I Experience at High Tech U?
Having fun, working in teams and learning by doing are all part of the HTU experience. At HTU you will:
- learn how microchips and solar chips are made. You’ll pattern and layer your own wafer.
- launch hacky sacks using statapults to determine how statistics are important in quality control decisions.
- light up the room with a chemistry based experiment.
- find out how electronics really work using the HTU electronic circuit board.
- apply your feet in a unique HTU activity and become the inside of a calculator.
- visit a local university.
- work in teams, solving real world problems in third world countries.
- prepare for an interview, AND have an actual mock one-on-one interview with an industry professional.
Who Should Attend?
- If you are a good to average student, 13-17 years old and have an interest in high tech, you should apply.
- If you enjoy solving problems, working in teams and participating in hands-on activities, you will enjoy every minute of the program.
- If you are confused about educational next steps and what you can do NOW to plan for your future, this program is designed for you.
How Can I Apply?
Since this is a field trip, you must arrange with your teachers to make up any missed school work or assignments.
You must agree to attend all three days and display the following desired behaviors at the program:
- Show a positive attitude
- Be a team player
- Demonstrate an interest and aptitude in high tech
A résumé will be required on the last day of the HTU program. Download résumé template here. You should complete the résumé and bring it with you to the High Tech U program you are attending.
SEMI HTU Ambassador Opportunities
We encourage HTU graduates to come back to future HTU programs. We are looking for students who would like to help out. You can volunteer for one, two or three days. Please check our calendar and send your request to the HTU contacts listed above.
Reconnection Opportunities for HTU Grads
The SEMI Foundation wants to keep in touch with you. Please join the SEMI HTU Facebook page for updates and announcements. At these events, you get to hear from industry people, try new hands-on activities and meet new friends from all the HTU programs in your area. https://www.facebook.com/groups/semihtu/