In its work to support the semiconductor design ecosystem, the Electronic System Design (ESD) Alliance, a SEMI Technology Community, gathers members and non-members alike to contribute to the Electronic Design Market Data (EDMD) report. The report features quarterly data on the Electronic Design Automation (EDA), Semiconductor Intellectual Property (SIP) and services industries. Published approximately three months after quarter close, the EDMD report data is segmented as follows:
- Revenue by product category (CAE, IC Physical Design and Verification, Semiconductor IP, PCB/MCM Layout, and Services) including numerous detailed sub-categories
- Revenue by geographic region (Americas, EMEA, Japan and APAC)
- Total employment at participating companies
Paul Cohen, senior manager of the ESD Alliance and the primary author of the EDMD report; Bob Smith, executive director of the alliance; and SEMI senior director of product marketing David Ghodsizadeh joined Francoise von Trapp of 3D InCites for a podcast to discuss key takeaways from the Q4 2022 EDMD report.
The podcast participants discussed the report data, how it is gathered, and how the report’s diverse customer base uses the information to help guide business decisions.
ESD industry revenue increased 11.3% from $3,468.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2021 to $3,858.7 million in the fourth quarter of 2022. In its breakdown of regional data, the EDMD report shows that in Q4 2022:
- The Americas, the largest reporting region by revenue, procured $1,714.5 million of electronic system design products and services, an 8.7% increase.
- Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) procured $504.6 million of electronic system design products and services, a 4.6% increase.
- Japan’s procurement of electronic system design products and services increased 8.6% to $242.1 million.
- Asia Pacific (APAC)procured $1,397.5 million of electronic system design products and services, a 17.9% increase.
A report sample is available upon request.
The podcast is the fourth in a series providing semiconductor manufacturing updates across the electronic design; wafer fab; equipment; materials; and assembly, packaging and test markets to help microelectronics companies and other industry stakeholders with their day-to-day business decisions. In the first three episodes, SEMI Market Intelligence Team (MIT) members provide an overview of the SEMI market data portfolio and discusses its Worldwide Semiconductor Equipment Market Statistics (WWSEMS) Report, World Fab Forecast report and Semiconductor Manufacturing Monitor.
- Episode 1: SEMI Market Intelligence Team Discusses Semiconductor Equipment Outlook with 3D InCites
- Episode 2: Tracking Historic Fab Investments with SEMI Market Intelligence Team and 3D InCites
- Episode 3: Tracking the Chip Manufacturing Market at SEMI ISS 2023
The ESD Alliance will host semiconductor industry executives on May 18, 2023, in Santa Clara, California for CEO Outlook, an annual panel discussion about the current state and future of the chip design and semiconductor industries. The event is open to ESD Alliance and SEMI members at no cost. Registration is open.
SEMI Market Symposium
The SEMI Market Intelligence Team (MIT) will present at the SEMI Market Symposium on July 10 at SEMICON West 2023 in San Francisco, where they will provide a midyear update of key market trends and drivers. Additional speakers will present market forecasts and analysis for the semiconductor, equipment, materials and other industries in the electronics design and manufacturing supply chain.
Samer Bahou is director of Marketing Communications at SEMI.